Room to Dream
"Literacy is not a luxury; it is a right and a responsibility"– Bill Clinton
Today, there are more than 770 million illiterate people in the world, over 300 million children who are not enrolled in school, and hundreds of millions more lack access to books and libraries. Ninety-eight percent of these children live in developing countries, where extreme poverty prevents them from gaining an education. As members of a global community, we must recognize that illiteracy is a major hurdle in improving the quality of life around the globe. Room to Read believes in the power of education and is proud to introduce our most ambitious initiative in our nine-year history – the Room to Dream Campaign.
In Room to Read's first decade, we have helped more than 3.1 million children in the developing world by constructing schools, establishing libraries, providing long-term girls' scholarships and publishing new local language children's books. Now we're aiming to go bigger than ever, and take our flagship Reading Room
and Local Language Publishing
programs to the next level.
The Room to Dream campaign aims to make the following dreams a reality:
- Over 11,000 communities will have their first library
- All of these libraries will have multi-lingual content, trained librarians, and ongoing Monitoring and Evaluation systems to ensure quality
- The libraries will also benefit from the publication of over 500 new local language children's books, representing almost 5 million new books, many in languages that have never before had published children's books
- The libraries will be filled with at least 4 million English language children's books
- Most importantly, over 5 million children in the developing world will have regular access to Room to Read's programs
To accomplish these ambitious goals, the Room to Dream Campaign aims to raise $60 million in cash and gifts in kind by the end of 2010. We are already half way there, but we still need your support to raise the remaining funds! The realization of Room to Dream will depend upon our successful partnership with donors who share our belief that "world change starts with educated children." This campaign is an important next step for scaling our successful Reading Room and Local Language Publishing models and it will more than double the number of children's lives our programs will reach.
Please join with Room to Read at this pivotal moment to transform the lives of 5 million children in the developing world – one book, one child, one community at a time.
Donate to the Room to Dream Campaign
To learn more about the Room to Dream Campaign, please review the following materials:
Room to Dream Case Statement (Adobe PDF, 5.7MB)
Room to Dream Midyear Investment Report 2009 (Adobe PDF, 443KB)
Investor Report 2008 (Adobe PDF, 1MB)
If you have any questions about the Campaign, please call our office at 415-561-3331 or email us at RoomtoDream@roomtoread.org.