Starting a Chapter
Thank you for your interest in starting a Room to Read chapter in your area! Our fantastic network of chapters are critical to our success and we’re thrilled to hear of your interest in starting a new chapter in your area. Thank you!
What is a Room to Read Chapter?
A Room to Read Chapter is a group of motivated volunteers who work together and are committed to raising awareness, funds, and enthusiasm for Room to Read and its programs on a local level. Starting a local chapter of Room to Read, or assuming a leadership role in an existing chapter, can be one of the most rewarding volunteer activities you will experience.
Please note that our chapters focus on fundraising. If you are interested in bringing Room to Read’s programs to your community, please read more in our Programs & Countries FAQs.
There are many benefits in starting a Chapter which include:
- The opportunity for a single person or group to have a profound effect on the lives of tens of thousands of illiterate children by helping to fund new educational infrastructure.
- A chance to develop skills in the areas of leadership, social entrepreneurship, management, public speaking, and group decision-making.
- A forum for the personal and professional development of its team members.
- An arena for the development of relationships and communities.
- The chance to have inspiring social experiences with a group of passionate and globally oriented residents in your city.
Depending on your resources and needs, the optimal local Chapter will have a dedicated leadership team, with individuals to focus on the following areas:
- Events: This individual oversees the organization of Chapter events.
- Foundations & Corporations: In partnership with the Global Office, this individual helps develop relationships with foundations and corporations in the Chapters area.
- Volunteer Coordinator: The Volunteer Coordinator corresponds with volunteers in his/her geographic area and in conjunction with the Global Office.
- Students Helping Students: This person helps develop relationships with schools in the Chapter’s area.
- Accounting: This individual tracks donations from events and is also in charge of ensuring all donations and all supporting documents for donations (donation forms, personal notes, etc…) from events are mailed directly to Global Office.
How do I launch a Chapter?
Please fill out the New Chapter form and tell us a little more about yourself and your interest in starting a Chapter! Your form will be sent to Room to Read staff. Please allow us up to a month to review your form and respond to your inquiry. Thank you for your interest in helping us expand our Chapter network!