Temporary Marketing and Communications Assistant
Room to Read seeks to transform the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Working in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments, we develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the relevant life skills to succeed in school and beyond.
We are non-governmental, non-religious and work with many local NGOs and community based organizations to implement our programs. We currently work in Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Vietnam, and Zambia – countries with a desperate lack of resources to educate their children. Since our inception, Room to Read’s worldwide team has impacted over 7 million children by constructing more than 1,600 schools, establishing over 15,000 libraries, publishing 800 new children’s book titles in 11 local languages, and rewarding over 20,000 girls with long-term, holistic scholarships.
Room to Read has an annual budget of approximately US$43.7 million and our global staff numbers over 500. Our global headquarters is located in San Francisco, and we have smaller fundraising offices in Delhi, New York, Hong Kong, London, Mumbai, Sydney, and Tokyo. We have an Asia Regional Office located in New Delhi and program offices in Colombo, Dar es Salaam, Dhaka, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Kathmandu, Lusaka, New Delhi, Pretoria, Phnom Penh, and Vientiane.
The Communications & Marketing Assistant is a temporary, part-time position on the Communications Team assisting both our Creative Marketing and External Affairs units. We are looking for someone who can work on a part-time basis, two days per week (approximately 16 hours per week) out of our San Francisco office but also assist those members of our team based in New York City. This position will report to the Communications and Marketing Associate; we are looking for someone who can commit to working through the end of 2013.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Organize and manage digital photo files
- Support expense reporting and invoicing
- Assist with general administrative, filing and research tasks
- Field and respond to reporter inquiries and requests for photo and video assets
- Develop media lists to support press outreach strategy
- Research and assist in application for award and recognition opportunities
- Research and write briefing documents for potential marketing partnerships
- Research media placement opportunities for public service announcements and corporate and promotional partnership support
- Research and package potential content for Room to Read’s social media channels
- Draft blog posts
- Provide support for website maintenance, including copy updates
- Proof and write for occasional marketing collateral
- B.S./B.A. or coursework in relevant subject
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Adept at using Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
- Tech savvy with experience in web-based content management systems
- Results oriented
- Flexibility to take on ad hoc projects as needed
- Proficiency in oral and written English
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and take initiative
- Experience with InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and video editing software
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
- Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact an up-and-coming nonprofit organization
- Be an innovative and creative thinker; you’re not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
- Work well independently as well as part of a team
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
The hourly rate for the position is $15/hr. This position offers a unique opportunity to gain nonprofit experience and be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through education.
Please send a cover letter and resume by email, with “Communications Assistant” in the subject line, (no letters, calls, faxes, or drop-ins) to email@example.com. Due to high applicant volume, we regret that we cannot send personalized responses to all applicants. Applications are accepted until the position is filled.
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.