Temporary Development Operations Assistant
Room to Read seeks to transform the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Working in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments, we develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the relevant life skills to succeed in school and beyond.
We are non-governmental, non-religious and work with many local NGOs and community based organizations to implement our programs. We currently work in Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Vietnam, and Zambia – countries with a desperate lack of resources to educate their children. Since our inception, Room to Read’s worldwide team has impacted over 7 million children by constructing more than 1,600 schools, establishing over 15,000 libraries, publishing 800 new children’s book titles in 11 local languages, and rewarding over 20,000 girls with long-term, holistic scholarships.
Room to Read has an annual budget of approximately US$43.7 million and our global staff numbers over 500. Our global headquarters is located in San Francisco, and we have smaller fundraising offices in Delhi, New York, Hong Kong, London, Mumbai, Sydney, and Tokyo. We have an Asia Regional Office located in New Delhi and program offices in Colombo, Dar es Salaam, Dhaka, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Kathmandu, Lusaka, New Delhi, Pretoria, Phnom Penh, and Vientiane.
We are seeking an experienced Temporary Development Operations Assistant to join our Development Team for 25-30 hours per week, to provide database and general administrative support. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is not only interested in supporting our fundraising processes, but also excited about impacting positive change by recommending process improvements. This position will work directly with the Development Associate of Operations in our San Francisco office and provide team support for the entire Development Department.
Tasks and Projects:
- Scan gift information and save on shared drive
- Retrieve matching gift information online
- Create new records in The Raiser’s Edge (RE) donor database as needed
- Perform data entry and update records in RE
- Work on projects to update database records
- Generate donor reports
- Generate donor receipts
- General administrative support (i.e., filing, copying, maintaining filing system, etc.)
- Approve allocation requests and proof dedication language in Salesforce database
- Other duties as needed related to day-to-day operations of the Development Team
- Ability to commit to the role for a minimum of 24 weeks (6 months)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 1-2 years of relevant work experience in either administrative support, database administration, or finance and accounting, strongly preferred
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to produce work that contains high level of accuracy
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Adept at using Excel
- Knowledge of The Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce or other donor database systems preferred
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be an innovative and creative thinker that tries new things and inspires others to do so
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
- Work well independently as well as part of a team
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
This is a temporary position. There is a competitive hourly rate for the position and we kindly ask that you send us your hourly requirements with your application. This position offers a unique opportunity to gain nonprofit experience and be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through education.
Please send a cover letter and resume by email, with “Temp Dev Ops Asst” in the subject line, (no letters, calls, faxes, or drop-ins) to email@example.com. Due to high applicant volume, we regret that we can not personally respond to all candidates. Applications are accepted until the position is filled.
Room to Read is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing
the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.