Girls' Education Program Officer, Laos
Vacancy Notice: Lao Nationality
Duty Station: Oudomxay
Room to Read seeks to transform the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Working in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments, we develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the relevant life skills to succeed in school and beyond.
We are non-governmental, non-religious and work with many local NGOs and community based organizations to implement our programs. We currently work in Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Vietnam, and Zambia – countries with a desperate lack of resources to educate their children. Since our inception, Room to Read’s worldwide team has impacted over 7 million children by constructing more than 1,600 schools, establishing over 15,000 libraries, publishing 800 new children’s book titles in 11 local languages, and rewarding over 20,000 girls with long-term, holistic scholarships.
Room to Read has an annual budget of approximately US$43.7 million and our global staff numbers over 500. Our global headquarters is located in San Francisco, and we have smaller fundraising offices in Delhi, New York, Hong Kong, London, Mumbai, Sydney, and Tokyo. We have an Asia Regional Office located in New Delhi and program offices in Colombo, Dar es Salaam, Dhaka, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Kathmandu, Lusaka, New Delhi, Pretoria, Phnom Penh, and Vientiane.
The Girl Education Program Officer is responsible for carrying out all activities of Room to Read’s girl’s program in the target area. She will work based in Oudomxay Province and has regular interaction with education officials, government partners, school administrators, woman union, teachers and pupils. The nature of work is to make initiative and advocate teachers to progress the education program for pupils.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversee and carry out program activities like life skill, academic support, school activity, parent workshop, teacher training and other activity related to GEP program; and organize girl, teacher and parent workshops
- Conduct regular meetings with girls and teachers to monitor their progress, inspire them towards academic success, and help deal with issues as they arise;
- Hosting donor site visits as needed and document anecdotes that evolve through field work;
- Organize the award ceremonies, extracurricular activities and distribution of scholarship materials to the girls in target schools;
- Assisting survey and propose for the target selection, selection committee establishment, material selection.
- Data entry into the database system and update regularly Monthly forecast and monthly expense reports.
- Bachelor Degree in Education, Social Sciences, management or other related fields;
- At least 5 years of working experiences with international NGOs in the education sector, gender issue or other related development fields;
- Good knowledge and understanding of education and gender issues, including teaching methodologies and community involvement in schools;
- Ability to live in Oudomxay province and travel to designated project sites;
- Good communication, high commitment and trustworthy person;
- Good command in Lao and English (both written and oral);
- Good computer skill (MS Word, Excel, and so on).
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be an innovative and creative thinker that tries new things and inspires others to do so
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
- Work well independently as well as part of a team
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
The salary range for each position will be determined based upon the experience of the candidate hired. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through literacy and gender equality in education.
Please submit your cover letter indicating position applied and CV through email: Laos@roomtoread.org. In case, you cannot reach us through email, you can post and send it to the country office in the address: P.O Box 11607, Ban Sibounheuang 314, Unit 25 Chanthabouly District, Vientiane Lao PDR.
Room to Read is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.