Girls' Education Program Associate, Laos
Room to Read seeks to transform the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Working in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments, we develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the relevant life skills to succeed in school and beyond.
We are non-governmental, non-religious and work with many local NGOs and community based organizations to implement our programs. We currently work in Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Vietnam, and Zambia – countries with a desperate lack of resources to educate their children. Since our inception, Room to Read’s worldwide team has impacted over 7 million children by constructing more than 1,600 schools, establishing over 15,000 libraries, publishing 800 new children’s book titles in 11 local languages, and rewarding over 20,000 girls with long-term, holistic scholarships.
Room to Read has an annual budget of approximately US$43.7 million and our global staff numbers over 500. Our global headquarters is located in San Francisco, and we have smaller fundraising offices in Delhi, New York, Hong Kong, London, Mumbai, Sydney, and Tokyo. We have an Asia Regional Office located in New Delhi and program offices in Colombo, Dar es Salaam, Dhaka, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Kathmandu, Lusaka, New Delhi, Pretoria, Phnom Penh, and Vientiane.
The Girl Education Program Associate’s responsibility is to assist a team to carry out all activities of Room to Read’s girl’s program. She will work based in Oudomxay Province and have regular interaction with education officials, school administrators, teachers, pupils and their parent. Her tasks also improve the GEP program’s impact and sustainability in schools and communities with maximizing quality and the community’s challenge grant contribution.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist in listing material collection, procurement and distribution to girls and follow up material usage;
- Assist in preparation of detailed cost estimation of monthly forecast and monthly expense reports;
- Participating in activity conducting such as life skill, academic support, school activity, parent workshop, teacher training and other activity related to GEP program;
- Assist in organizing and coordinating award ceremonies, extracurricular activities and distribution of scholarship materials to the girls;
- Assist in gathering statistics and information for the girls’ scholarship yearbook;
- data entry into GSD and update regularly.
- Bachelor Degree in Education, Social Sciences, management or other related fields;
- At least 3 years of working experience in program development in the international organization or NGOs;
- Good knowledge and understanding of education issues, including teaching methodologies and community involvement in schools;
- Experience of living and/or working in rural areas and good communication with government officers, school administrator and local authority officer;
- Experience of organize the workshop and related activities;
- Ability to travel frequently to province;
- Good command in English (both written and oral).
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be an innovative and creative thinker that tries new things and inspires others to do so
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
- Work well independently as well as part of a team
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
The salary range for each position will be determined based upon the experience of the candidate hired. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through literacy and gender equality in education.
Please submit your cover letter indicating position applied and CV through email: Laos@roomtoread.org. In case, you cannot reach us through email, you can post and send it to the country office in the address: P.O Box 11607, Ban Sibounheuang 314, Unit 25 Chanthabouly District, Vientiane Lao PDR.
Due to the high volume of applicant response, not all applicants may receive a response from Room to Read.
Room to Read is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.