Volunteer Position: Administrative/Accounting Volunteer
Location: San Francisco
Term: 4-6 months
Ideal Start Date: ASAP
Room to Read seeks to transform the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Working in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments, we develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the relevant life skills to succeed in school and beyond.
We are non-governmental, non-religious and work with many local NGOs and community based organizations to implement our programs. We currently work in Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Vietnam, and Zambia – countries with a desperate lack of resources to educate their children. Since our inception, Room to Read’s worldwide team has impacted over 5 million children by constructing more than 1,400 schools, establishing over 11,000 libraries, publishing 550 new children’s book titles in 22 local languages, and putting over 10,000 girls onto long-term, holistic scholarships.
Room to Read has an annual budget of approximately US$38 million and our global staff numbers over 420. Our global headquarters is located in San Francisco, and we have smaller fundraising offices in Delhi, New York, Hong Kong, London, Mumbai, Sydney, and Tokyo. We have an Asia Regional Office located in New Delhi, a Southern Africa Regional Office in Pretoria, and program offices in Colombo, Dhaka, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Kathmandu, Lusaka, New Delhi, Pretoria, Phnom Penh, Vientiane, and we are setting up operations and hiring staff for a new office in Tanzania.
Volunteer Position Overview:
We are seeking an Administrative/Accounting volunteer to join our Accounting team 1-2 days per week. This position will provide general administrative support with processing expense reports and credit card statements. This position will work directly with the Accounting Analyst in our San Francisco office.
Tasks and Projects:
- Review receipts, foreign exchange rates and calculations on credit card statements and expense reports
- Verify expense reports
- Prepare spreadsheet files for upload
- Filing, copying, and maintaining filing system
- Other duties as needed
- Ability to commit to a minimum of 3-4 months
- Course work in bookkeeping preferred
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to produce accurate work
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Basic knowledge of Excel
- Ability to understand and maintain confidentiality
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
- Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact an up-and-coming non-profit organization
- Be an innovative and creative thinker – you are not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
- Work well independently as well as part of a team
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
This is a volunteer opportunity. School credit may be available depending on the requirements of your institution. You’ll have the opportunity to attend our weekly Skills Clinic workshops to learn technical skills and best practices This volunteer opportunity offers a unique opportunity to gain non-profit experience and be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through literacy and girls' education.
Please send a completed Volunteer Application along with your cover letter and resume with “Administrative/Accounting Volunteer” in the subject line, (no letters, calls, faxes, or drop-ins) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to high applicant volume you may not receive a response from Room to Read. Applications are accepted until the position is filled.